Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Rest of the Story

Okay, I guess it's time to explain the OTHER half of the ski trip.  We all woke up Thursday morning feeling refreshed and ready to hit the slopes. Our final day of skiing for the year was rapidly approaching and we still had some energy to burn.  The skies were crystal blue, the slopes were freshly groomed, and the lift lines were a little lighter.  We were ready!

During the first slope down, my family was doing a crossover trail (the kind that intersects another trail- usually a black or a blue) so we could get to the backside of the mountain. While my family was crossing over the trail, two guys about my age were racing down the intersecting slope. And I mean, racing.  The first guy ran over the back of my uncle's skis and went airborne. The guy's skis went everywhere!  I was skiing right behind my uncle and I saw the second "racer" coming.   I pointed my skis down the mountain to dodge him (and the other guy's skis) and ended up landing in a patch of fresh powder:-). I sunk to my waist.  And laughed. And then laughed some more. There's something about being stuck in snow up to your waist with your skis still on that makes it nearly impossible to get out of by yourself.  Totally embarrassing. Here's a picture of the aftermath for your entertainment.


Next, our group decided to follow a blue trail that we had never been down before.  Blue being the keyword here. We are all fairly good skiers and had skied a ton of other blues and even a few selective blacks on the previous days, but I'm pretty sure this trail was marked incorrectly.  We met at the top of the trail and peered down the edge of the mountain... at moguls and a steep slope. Believe me. The picture below doesn't do it justice.

Since turning around was not an option, my uncle pointed his skis toward the trees at what looked to be the "easiest way" down.  Needless to say, he disappeared and all we saw was snow falling from the treetops.  Man down!  My cousin and I somehow figured it out without falling- it wasn't pretty, but we made it.


THEN it was my dad's turn.  This man rarely falls, but when he does...:-).


Until next time,
Bk

No comments:

Post a Comment